[ExI] restoration-ready

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 17:24:36 UTC 2021

> On May 27, 2021, at 8:32 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>
> > On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] restoration-ready
>
> >…I remember a guy who was so into safety for his kids that he had railroad ties put in the side doors.  I wonder what that car weighed.  bill w
>
> Hard to say, but he is fooling himself if he thinks that would make the car safer.  It is likely to make the retrofitted ride more dangerous.  In a side impact, the passengers would be severely injured and perhaps expire from the blunt trauma of hitting the railroad ties.  The creosote offgassing on a hot day into the passenger compartment could scarcely be beneficial.

I believe you’re thinking of the sleepers outgassing— not the ties (or rails). Actually, wooden railroad track sleepers might not be such a bad thing for cushioning an impact. The wood would likely splinter or crumble or collapse absorbing some of the force. Well, more than a tie or a rail would, no?

Regards,

Dan