[ExI] Fwd: Gödel and physical reality

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:22:00 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [ExI] Gödel and physical reality

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 9:34 AM Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 2:52 PM Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Giulio,
> >
> > Thank you for raising so many profound questions!
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 5:10 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat <
> >>
> >> Gödel and physical reality. What are the implications of Gödel's
> >> theorem for fundamental science and metaphysics?
> >>

> > I think there are deep connections between Gödel's theorem and the
> question of why anything exists. I write about some of the connections and
> implications in this article:
> >
> https://alwaysasking.com/why-does-anything-exist/#20th_Century_Mathematics
>
> Hi Jason, your website doesn't seem to be working (522: connection timed
> out).

Hi Giulio, it appears to be back up, for the time being at least. I
apologize for the outage.

> > In summary, Gödel's result implies an independence of mathematical truth
> from any human theory of that truth, and I would argue, even makes
> mathematical truth independent of the physical universe.
> >

> But it can also be argued that it makes mathematical truth *strongly
> dependent* on the physical universe. I tend to think of mathematics as
> the physics of little things that can be counted - a construction
> motivated by physical experience and the need to stay alive long
> enough to reproduce.

There is a circularity for sure.

[image: circularity-math-matter-mind.png]

The question is: where does it begin?

This is roughly the picture I have arrived at:

[image: story-of-creation.green-text.png]

Necessity requires logical laws; logical laws imply incontrovertible truth;
such truth includes mathematical truth; mathematical truth defines numbers;
numbers possess number relations; number relations imply equations;
equations define computable relations; computable relations define all
computations; all computations include algorithmically generated observers;
and these observers experience apparent physical realities.

Here is a simple example of how logical necessity gives a shape to reality.
Consider the theory "Every rule has an exception". This is self-refuting
because then the rule that every rule has an exception would have an
exception, negating the rule. So then there must be some rules without
exceptions (what we might call laws). This is just an example, but similar
ideas from logic can be used to show certain truths would necessarily
exist, even with no universe and no things, as denying them would lead to a
contradiction.

So we arrive at a picture where "infinite truth", the embodiment of all
knowledge, serves as a container of all minds and all things. We could
liken it to an omniscient mind, being total, infinite, and
incomprehensible, eternal and uncreated, without a beginning or end,
self-existent. Furthermore, if this infinite truth produces observers and
experiences of physical universes as described above, hen this infinite
truth is also the reason and cause behind all things, the ground of being
to ourselves and the material universe.

Jason