[ExI] memo

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Nov 7 17:13:43 UTC 2021

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] memo

>…If human beings are still around hundreds of years from now, Orwell's name will too.  bill w

Thanks for that sir.  You made my day with that comment.

For a while, all the good guys were falling out of favor: Orwell, Bradbury, even Golding.  Now all three have come roaring back with a vengeance.

Here’s a fun one for yas: I was talking to a local who is in his freshman year at UC Irvine.  I asked what was really turning him on there (well, besides that I mean.)  He called attention to an English class of all things (surprise number 1.)  He isn’t even an English major, his major is accounting.  I asked what about that English class.  He answered with an even bigger surprise: the professor had assigned Lukianoff and Haidt’s The Coddling of the American Mind.

That a young person should be fired up by that book is most pleasantly astonishing.  I and my friends (all around 60) are and have been for years fans of Haidt, but young people tend to extremes.  I perceive Haidt as a moderate, or if not moderate, certainly open minded and insightful.  So we have this 18 year old who is finding a moderate insightful and helpful.

Conclusion: there is hope.