[ExI] [Extropolis] My current take on emergence and causation. Is the universe pulled toward Life?

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:54:29 UTC 2021

On 2021. Nov 16., Tue at 13:08, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 2:15 AM Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *> Perhaps we don't need an "explanation" of the probabilistic nature of
>> physical laws. Perhaps this is just how things work.*
>

> Maybe. We know from Gleason's theorem that if quantum probabilities are to
> make any sense, that is to say if all the probabilities are real numbers
> between 0 and 1 and all the probabilities of a predicted event add up to
> exactly 1, then all the probabilities must be expressible by the square of
> the absolute value of the wave function just as quantum mechanics says. So
> the real question is not why does the Born rule exist but rather why must
> we use probabilities at all, why can't we make exact predictions? Perhaps
> the answer is just as you say, that's just the way things work; after all
> there's no law of logic that says every event must have a cause.

Exactly.

Btw I’m thinking about this. Think of a sequence of random bits, call it
R(n). Now think of the same sequence as the deterministic unfolding of a
random real number r given as initial condition. So the sequence becomes
D(n) = nth bit in the binary expansion of r. R is random, and D is
deterministic. But R and D are the same thing!!!