[ExI] cycle 25 showing some early promise

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Nov 19 14:02:33 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Grigg via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] cycle 25 showing some early promise

What are the odds of a monstrous solar flare taking out modern civilization within the next fifty years? In a way, it could be far worse than a pandemic...

John

Very low.  We have already developed satellites capable of withstanding radiation levels orders of magnitude higher than any solar flare will produce.  We can see a coronal mass ejection in advance, which is why we know it is coming.  We can shield power lines if necessary, or add the requisite capacitance to deal with it.

We would focus our attention on that for a while rather than the pointless problems on which we have been distracted recently perhaps.