[ExI] Rolls-Royce’s All Electric Aircraft World Speed Record

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Nov 21 19:59:43 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Rolls-Royce’s All Electric Aircraft World Speed Record

Rolls-Royce’s All Electric Aircraft Claims World Speed Record

by Sumit Singh    November 19, 2021

<https://simpleflying.com/rolls-royce-spirit-record/>

>>...Rolls-Royce today shared that its all-electric plane has set three new world records. One of these achievements is that on November 16th, the Spirit of Innovation aircraft reached a top speed of 555.9 km/h (345.4
mph) over 3 km, surpassing the current record by 213.04 km/h (132 mph) to affirm itself as the world’s fastest all-electric vehicle.

>...Its design reminds me of the WWII Spitfire fighter.

BillK

Cool very impressive, thx BillK.

Note that the Brits had the Spitfires flying for four years before the Yanks quit fooling with those stodgy old radial engines and got busy with the P51 Mustang, which used a British Rolls Royce V12 design very similar to the Spit.

The Brits have always been good at making stuff look cool too.  Note pretty much all British cars.

There is plenty of market for short-hop flights, particularly with these quieter designs, such as hauling corporate biggies around a metro area.  Looks to me like an electric plane would be more forgiving on short notice flights: electric motors have fewer single-point failures compared to any IC motor.