[ExI] Wildfires are erasing Western forests

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 16:25:02 UTC 2021

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 15:38, spike jones via extropy-chat

> From: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Wildfires are erasing Western forests
>
> >…And I think we should be planting trees,perhaps not in the same places.  bill w
>

> Where?
>
> spike

As the article says - pine and fir forests require water and cool weather.
Where forests have burned, the lower south-facing slopes that are
hotter and drier are reverting to brushwood while the tree line is
creeping higher up the mountains.
So, plant pine trees higher up or plant different tree species more
suited to a hotter, drier climate.
The research has already been done.
See: Climate-Ready Trees for Albuquerque
<https://www.nature.org/content/dam/tnc/nature/en/documents/Climate-Ready-Trees-Location-Lists-Nov2020.pdf>
Over 100 tree species are recommended. The result will be different
from pine forests, but still attractive.

BillK