[ExI] DuckDuckGo

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:44:10 UTC 2021

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 00:18, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>

>> Oh dear, where to start?  :)
>> It is not just 3 or 4 Google employees smirking. Google sells your
>> data to thousands of advertisers.
>

> I don't think so. I think Google realizes that the data they hold is their most precious resource, and selling it would devalue it. Instead they offer to use their private data to target their customer's ads.
>
> -Dave

For legal reasons Google does indeed claim that it doesn't 'sell' all
the user data that it collects.
For a detailed explanation of how Google monetises and transfers the
data without 'selling' it, see:
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/google-says-it-doesnt-sell-your-data-heres-how-company-shares-monetizes-and>
Quote:
Google does acknowledge that somewhere in this process, a “sale” is
occurring. It just insists that Google itself isn’t the one selling
data. Instead, although Google facilitates the whole process, it
places the responsibility of CCPA compliance on website and app
publishers. Therefore, in order to opt out of having your data sold by
Google’s services, you need to opt out with each individual app and
website that you use. Doing so won’t even stop your data from being
collected; it will only stop Google from showing you behaviorally
targeted ads.