[ExI] collective expertise

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 13:01:16 UTC 2021

   That looks like some kind of chestnut, but you live in California so your trees are probably a bit different to the ones in England. I would advise you to ask neighbours or check against images of local chestnut species to identify if they are toxic or not (I live in an area full of horse chestnuts, which are toxic to humans). Also, peel carefully to see how hard they are and if your teeth can handle them.
Depending on edibility, you may be able to have chestnuts roasting on an open fire, like that old Nat King Cole song. Alternatively, if they are inedible or just too tough, drill a hole in them, thread some twine through, knot at either side of the nut and you now have a conker. Make a second one, and find someone who enjoys destructive pastimes. Now takes turns swinging the nuts against each other until one breaks - you have joined the ancient sport of "Conkers".
Tom