[ExI] Does the Star Trek transporter kill people?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 01:19:44 UTC 2021

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 2:56 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> If the copying can be done without destroying the original, then the
> transporter becomes a factory 3D printer creating unlimited copies of
> anything.

Notice the replicators that transporters eventually evolved into.  Though,
"without destroying the original" was the trick they needed to perfect
first.

> This seems to me to be unlikely, as the inventor could fill
> the world with copies of him/herself. Not a problem for Spike, of
> course, but I can see how some people would consider this to be a
> problem.  :)

The inventor could do a thing that most inventors would not want to do -
but the inventor is not forced to do it.  I fail to see how this is a
problem.

The inventor of a gun could commit suicide with it, but most inventors
would not want to.  This has not stopped guns from being invented.

> A scanner with this level of detail must also be able to be used for
> medical purposes. Removing cancer cells, tumors, cosmetic blemishes,
> etc. Probably the first use, before transportation.

And notice the early transporters in Star Trek: Enterprise.  Bulk matter,
where losing a higher percentage of the underlying matter was tolerable,
was transported long before living beings.