[ExI] I want a 2.3 billion dollar submarine yacht!

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 20:28:27 UTC 2021

 I looked at this and thought "This looks like a load of expensive computer renderings, plus some stop motion footage of a single vessel under construction". I decided to ask mr google his opinion, and this article from Bloomberg from 2017 appeared: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-15/before-you-spend-2-billion-on-your-own-submarine-read-this
At that time, out of three manufacturers only one was under contract to build a civilian vessel, and it's the Ocean Submarine Neyk L3 which only costs 20 million euros. Now it's been four years since that article, but I suspect all the billion-dollar models are just that - models - and the existing civilian subs are only tens of millions of dollars, and probably outperformed by the models used by the oil industry (but a lot more comfortable - I never want to be a saturation diver).
Apparently the $90million Phoenix 1000 is the largest civilian submarine actually built.
Yes, I'd like one. No, I don't think I'll ever be financially successful enough to afford one unless 3D printers capable of printing whole vehicles become economical.
Tom