[ExI] cart before horse

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 18:22:21 UTC 2021

On 2021-9-17 04:49, Dave Sill via extropy-chat wrote:
> Civil Asset Forfeiture is very popular with law enforcement.
> And the public is surprisingly OK with it because they trust
> their law enforcement "heroes" to use it wisely.

Whenever a legislature tries to restrict it, the pigs will protest that
forfeiture is an indispensable tool against druglords.  Never mind that
many of the former owners (four in five, by one estimate) are never
charged with any crime.

Back the Blue!!1!

Let's just hope other agencies don't get the idea of doing something
unconstitutional and empirically useless in the name of, say, fighting
terrorism.

It has been said, "Don't steal; the government hates the competition."
In at least one recent year, police seizures exceeded private burglary
and robbery in the Home of the Brave.  So at least 'our team' is winning
that competition.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org