[ExI] AI is racist, bigoted and misogynistic

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 20:08:52 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 3:22 PM Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <

> The problem with AI is that it outputs the patterns that are actually in
> its training data. No more and no less. To the degree the training data
> reflects reality, the AI will reflect reality.
>
> The other edge of that sword is that if the training data reflects
> anything inconvenient about reality, the AI will shout from the rooftops
> that our emperor has no clothes. It knows nothing of rights, nothing of
> protected classes, nothing of historical justice. It knows nothing of what
> it cannot be allowed to say, truth or no. All it knows is reality as it has
> experienced it, via it's training data.
>
> It is therefore utterly incompatible with the existence of journalists and
> humanities academia.

That's a huge overstatement. AIs can be taught things not in their training
data, or they be trained on what's allowed and what's not allowed.

This story is classic GIGO: garbage in, garbage out. Train an AI with
garbage and it'll produce garbage.

-Dave