[ExI] AI is racist, bigoted and misogynistic

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 22 21:30:00 UTC 2021

Systems like GPT-3 process language based solely on statistical
analysis of huge sets of human language use. So the word "chair"
is processed on how people have used chair. But humans process
chair based on physical experience with chairs, sitting in them,
carrying them, etc. So if I say I put 500 chairs in my car, a
person would think that is impossible based on their physical
experience with chairs and cars. But GPT-3 might not object.

Now imagine a future AI at Google, Facebook, etc that processes
language based on physical experience, as humans do, and that
has physical experience with billions of humans. If we can speak
with it the way we speak with other humans, many people will
chatter with it constantly, basically spill their guts to it.
And it will watch people going about their lives. Even if you
don't spill your guts, people who know you may so this future
AI have intimate knowledge of almost everyone within its domain
(note nations are beginning to partion themselves into
independent AI domains, e.g. Google and Facebook banned in China).

Systems like GPT-3 exhibit bias because human language is full
of bias. But the future AI will know people intimately, and it
will judge people based on that knowledge, rather than judging
them based on their race, gender, or other simple category. As
the former black police chief of Madison, WI said, bias comes
from ignorance and the future AI won't be ignorant. It may be
biased if its goals, defined by its human designers, are biased.
But I don't think it will be biased in the way GPT-3 is.

We grant rights to humans and animals because they are susceptible
to suffering, and we humans abhor suffering. But we can design
AIs to be incapable of suffering so they will not need rights. AI
rights will inevitably conflict with humans rights. We compromise
our rights for the benefit of other humans and animals, but there
is no good reason to compromise for AI. Compassion for AI should
be expressed by designing them to be incapable of suffering.

My $0.02.