[ExI] sticks and things: was: RE: diets

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 18:58:53 UTC 2021

On Thu, 30 Sept 2021 at 19:22, spike jones via extropy-chat

> I went on a cruise once, to Hawaii.  Spent most of the time looking out to sea for that big swirling island of plastic trash.  Never did find that, but the dolphins were surfing the wake and having a great time, which reminded me of my own surfing when I was younger than I am now, which I was able to get to because of my lousy car with the stick thing.
>
> Billw, there ya go, thou unbeliever.  Stayed right on topic.
>
> spike

To change the subject,  ;)  you generally can't see the Great Pacific
Garbage Patch. The ship might have sailed right through it.
A lot of the plastic sinks down to cover the seafloor. Much doesn't
float on the surface where it can be seen. But the main reason
you can't see it is because most of the plastic has been broken down
into microparticles. If you were in a canoe you might notice the
occasional floating plastic bottle, but that's about all.
The horrifying photos of piles of plastic rubbish are from beaches and harbours.

BillK