[ExI] Paul vs Eliezer

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Apr 5 04:29:18 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Jason Resch via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Paul vs Eliezer

Rafal,

…

>…The net result then should be a more positive, more perfect world, based on motives and values that are already universal to all conscious life.

Jason

Jason you had me right up until the last sentence of your post.  There are no universal goals to all conscious life, not even the most basic, self-preservation.  Exceptions are rare, such as the perpetrator of murder/suicide, but they exist.  The notion of friendly AI is to not accidentally create a super-enabled perpetrator who wants to end its own existence and take as many other conscious beings along as it can.

I am generally an optimist (from most points of view an absurdly self-delusional optimist) but I don’t trust AI to be sane.  It didn’t have the same evolutionary path as we do, so evolutionary psychology do not shape its motives, we do.

spike

…