[ExI] addiction

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 00:14:44 UTC 2022

BillK, I have read that a general semanticist has estimated that in
ordinary conversation only about 1/3 of what is said actually communicates
accurately to the other person.  (Less if it is between a man and a woman -
then it can fall to near zero ��)  Primarily, I reckon, because people have
different definitions of the concepts stemming from different life
experiences.   Now imagine the difficulty of the UN translators, rendering
in English on the go what is being said in some other language, whose
citizens have at times very different cultures, attitudes, religions, and
so on.  I read of a story from France in which
TV contestants are required to tell what another person is saying - in
French. And they often can't.   bill w

On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 6:21 PM BillK via extropy-chat <