[ExI] Fwd: Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Colin Hales col.hales at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 09:35:20 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022, 5:04 PM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 11:53 PM Colin Hales <col.hales at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 1:02 PM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

>>> ### Does the bulk EM field of the brain have a functional role? How? Is
>>> there empirical evidence in favor?
>>>

>> *The most recent (in 10 years of results) is *
>> Chiang, C.-C., Shivacharan, R.S., Wei, X., Gonzalez-Reyes, L.E., and
>> Durand, D.M. (2019). Slow periodic activity in the longitudinal hippocampal
>> slice can self-propagate non-synaptically by a mechanism consistent with
>> ephaptic coupling. The Journal of Physiology 597, 249-269.
>> https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1113/JP276904
>>
>> ### Ephaptic transmission is nothing new. We know that electric fields
> can influence neural tissue functioning under pathological conditions, for
> example during seizures. This is the basis of ECT and it's simple physics.
> However, there is no evidence that global EM fields generated by the brain
> have any computational role in the brain.
>
> Before I go on about EM fields and the brain let me differentiate between
> the computational and the physical aspects of the brain. Computational
> aspects pertain to the structures and processes that are directly involved
> in the processing of information on a fine scale. For example, the impact
> of a photon on a retinal receptor creates chemical reactions and electric
> potentials in a small number of connected cells, is propagated up the
> network into the brain and eventually is interpreted as information about
> the source of the photon, similar to the computations that happen when a
> photon enters a camera and eventually is used by an AI app on your computer
> to recognize your face. On the other hand, the heat and the spent chemical
> energy carriers created during the computational processes in the brain are
> not directly computational and are merely physical aspects, just like the
> heat generated by your laptop.
>
> There is a reason why some aspects of the brain, or a computer, are
> computational while others are merely physical. Interesting information
> processing consists of many moving parts. You need trillions of processing
> steps to extract information about a face from a stream of photons, which
> is why you need billions of fine-grained entities working in parallel on
> millions of streams of bits to do this job. You need synapses that are not
> globally connected to all synapses but rather synapses that form particular
> patterns of connections suited to face recognition, working on input
> streams that are highly structured. These synapses cannot be just globally
> synchronized, because a million synapses doing exactly the same thing are
> not processing a million pieces of information, they are just repeating one
> process. Highly synchronized firing of multiple synapses is what happens
> during a seizure, and a seizure does not process information. Physical
> [...]

The EEG and MEG are tiny residual scalp fields from tissue originating 1cm
away from scalp. Of course they are messed up by muscle artefacts (scalp,
facial and heart).  The actual fields in the brain tissue, that originate
the EEG, are inside the membrane, are many orders of magnitude stronger.
Transmembrane electric  field dynamics  (1cm away) are 10,000,000 volts/m
and that can completely reverse in direction. Muscle artefacts is totally
irrelevant there.

Everything I have said is straight out of the standard model of particle
physics, and then interpreted based on my having a PHD in brain
electromagnetism.

I am clearly in the wrong place to engage these issues. Apologies. I'll
leave it there.