[ExI] The Record for the Farthest Galaxy just got Broken Again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 17:25:52 UTC 2022

The Record for the Farthest Galaxy just got Broken Again, now just 250
million years after the Big Bang
Posted on August 2, 2022 by Laurence Tognetti

In a recent study submitted to MNRAS, a collaborative research team
has utilized the first set of data from the James Webb Space Telescope
(JWST) discovering a galaxy candidate, CEERS-93316, that formed
approximately 250 million years after the Bing Bang, which also set a
new redshift record of z = 16.7.

<https://www.universetoday.com/156987/the-record-for-the-farthest-galaxy-just-got-broken-again-now-just-250-million-years-after-the-big-bang/>

Quote:
“After the Big Bang the Universe entered a period known as the dark
ages, a time before any stars had been born,” explains Dr. Bowler.
“The observations of this galaxy push observations back to the time
when we think the first galaxies ever to exist were being formed.
Already we’ve found more galaxies in the very early Universe than
computer simulations predicted, so there is clearly a lot of open
questions about how and when the first stars and galaxies formed.”

Given this incredible finding in just the first set of data from JWST,
it’s intriguing to think how much father back in the universe this
record-shattering space telescope can see, and whether it can see the
Big Bang itself.