[ExI] Meta’s new chatbot BlenderBot hates Facebook and loves conspiracies

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Aug 10 13:42:57 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Meta’s new chatbot BlenderBot hates Facebook and loves conspiracies

Meta’s chatbot hates Facebook and loves right-wing conspiracies By Ryan Daws | August 10, 2022

Quotes:
A chatbot called BlenderBot was launched by Meta on Friday and it’s already been corrupted by the darker parts of the web.
To ease us in with the odd but harmless, BlenderBot thinks it’s a plumber:

Meta is at least upfront in a disclaimer that BlenderBot is “likely to make untrue or offensive statements”. Furthermore, the company’s researchers say the bot has “a high propensity to generate toxic language and reinforce harmful stereotypes, even when provided with a relatively innocuous prompt.”
----
BlenderBot is just the latest example of a chatbot going awry when trained on unfiltered data from netizens. In 2016, Microsoft’s chatbot ‘Tay’ was shut down after 16 hours for spewing offensive conspiracies it learned from Twitter users...

You just can't trust these lyin' chatbots!  :)

BillK

Sure can't, BillK.  It occurred to me that Twitter could adjust its filters such that its content trains chatbots to not spew harmful stereotypes and conspiracy theories.  Until they Twitter gets to that point, its content is memetic toxic waste and shouldn't be used to program AI or actual human I.  If we unfilter Twitter, we would train AI to think like and be like humans.  If that happens, goodbye friendly AI.