[ExI] Neuromorphic Chips

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Aug 13 02:54:02 UTC 2022

Implementing neural networks as hardware on chips could do for
training AI what ASICS did for bitcoin mining. Neuromorphic chips have
a lot of potential IMO. Why simulate what you can instead reverse
engineer?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43588-021-00184-y

----------------------------
Abstract

Neuromorphic computing technologies will be important for the future
of computing, but much of the work in neuromorphic computing has
focused on hardware development. Here, we review recent results in
neuromorphic computing algorithms and applications. We highlight
characteristics of neuromorphic computing technologies that make them
attractive for the future of computing and we discuss opportunities
for future development of algorithms and applications on these systems.
----------------------------

In his recent Frontiers in Neuroscience article about phenomenal
consciousness being mediated by the complex EM fields of the brain,
Colin Hales wrote:

"The creation of chip materials able to express EM fields structurally
identical to those produced by neurons can be used to construct
artificial neurons that replicate neuron signal processing through
allowing the actual, natural EM fields to naturally interact in the
manner they do in the brain, thereby replicating the same kind of
signaling and signal processing (computation). This kind of in silico
empirical approach is simply missing from the science." (Hales &
Ericson, 2022)

So Colin, it appears that the neuromorphic chips and computer
architecture described in the Nature Computational Science article is
exactly what you were suggesting right? So if these novel neuromorphic
AI work as expected, would you believe one of these new machines to
posses phenomenal consciousness or 1PP?

Stuart LaForge