[ExI] eating bugs

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Aug 20 20:52:36 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

> With Bill Gates urging the world to eat bugs, I had an idea.  If we could grow enough of them, perhaps we could get the hogs to devour the revolting bastards...  We’ll make a cubic buttload.
>
> spike

>...Not necessary, Spike. Just pop along to your favourite Sushi restaurant and they'll serve one up for you!
Yummy!  :)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54m4SDJiL6U&t=205s>

BillK

Thx BillK, after I viewed the video, I realize what is wrong with the idea.  Mammals go around on land, build up all that tasty muscle, fish all need to outswim each other to eat and not be eaten, building up all that muscle.  Giant sea bugs, neither.  They rely on armor to not be eaten, and just go around finding stuff on the sea bottom, such as alligators (?) so they don't build muscle and would likely not have enough meat in one of them to be a break-even for the hog.

But no worries, I thought of another use for them.

Back in the old days before people really knew much about radioactivity, they kinda thought it just amped up everything six orders of magnitude the way it did the atomic bomb.  So Gilligan ate the spinach they grew from radioactive seeds, gets really strong, Peter Parker gets bitten by radioactive spider, you know what happens next.  This misunderstanding sets us up for some epic gags.

For instance... get about four capybaras, put them out in the back of your "research facility."  Get everyone in cahoots except one hapless prole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCLRfSWi0lc

You run in, tell them "Oh SHIT!  Those rats we fed the radioactive cheese grew to enormous size, and broke down the fence!"  The others plus the one prole run out there, see the four capys, you shriek: Four are still here, so 20 of them got away!  They will infest the city!

Have cameras set up to watch the panic on the one guy's face, epic gag.

OK cool, now you can pull the same trick with these giant pill bugs.

But wait, there's more.  Using trick photography, we make a video of an actual giant pill bug, make it look like it is devouring a great white shark or an orca on the sea bottom, but the meal is really only a model, so the pill bug appears to be about 10 meters long.  Victim is shown some pill bugs you are experimenting on by feeding them radioactive something.  You go into the next room, shriek like a girl scout, he runs in, sees the giant pill bug, oh my GOD!

Then if he falls for that gag, you go on: Oh NO!  Some of these radioactive pill bugs got away!  Let's see if we can find them on the video monitor!

You rig the tape to show the fake video of your giant pill bug which appears to be 10 meters.  You tell your terrified victim: We're all gonna die.

Then everyone gets a big laugh.  We make a YouTube channel, sell ads, make a buttload.