[ExI] MAN WHO LOST $180 MILLION BITCOIN HARD DRIVE 9 YEARS AGO STILL TRYING TO DIG THROUGH TRASH

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:51:48 UTC 2022

Moving on is hard.

"Just ask UK-based IT engineer James Howells, who, almost a decade
ago, accidentally
threw away a hard drive
<https://futurism.com/the-byte/accidentally-buried-bitcoin-landfill> containing
over $180 million worth of Bitcoin — and is still clinging onto hope that
it's recoverable."

Since early last year
<https://futurism.com/the-byte/accidentally-buried-bitcoin-landfill>,
Howells has been lobbying the Newport city council to let him comb through
all of the landfill's trash in order to find it.

Most recently, he claimed to have secured funding and a top-notch,
trash-digging team to support the hunt — but as the *BBC *reports
<https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-62381682>, the council has once again
<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bitcoin-hard-drive-landfill-newport-council-wales-james-howells-b1787863.html>
rejected
his search citing environmental concerns.

Among claims that his newly-assembled team boasts environmental experts,
Howells' most recent plea to the council outlined plans to incorporate
assistive AI and robot dogs
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/aug/02/man-hopes-ai-and-robot-dogs-will-help-recover-150m-in-bitcoin-from-landfill>
in
the effort.

"We've basically got a well-rounded team of various experts, with various
expertise, which, when we all come together, are capable of completing this
task to a very high standard," the IT tech told the *BBC*."
Man Who Lost $180 Million Bitcoin Hard Drive 9 Years Ago Still Trying to
Dig Through Trash (futurism.com)
<https://futurism.com/the-byte/man-lost-million-bitcoin-hard-drive-dig-trash>