[ExI] i got friends in low places

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 06:24:57 UTC 2022

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 10:39 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] i got friends in low places
>

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 4:54 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <
>

> >>…Doesn’t that seem paradoxical?
>

> >…No, that seems like getting hung up on the various definitions of
> "intelligent".  There is not one single definition, and many of them are
> not simple yes/no things where you can say something (such as a processor
> running a Kalman filter) is or is not (that version of) intelligent.
>

> If we run with Adrian’s notion that the definition of intelligence
> matters, then we could create human-level intelligence to do stuff for us
> without causing the singularity.

You seriously misquote me.  The definition of the word "intelligence"
matters to explaining how you wound up with seemingly contradictory
statements, because you were using two different senses of the word.  This
has nothing to do with actual software.

> Toss those out as they reach the bottom, say 50th place, replace them
> with a randomly chosen factor from the long list of possibly relevant
> metrics.  Over time, the algorithm should learn which of the 50 metrics on
> the list of a few thousand observables are most relevant to predicting the
> outcome of whatever it is studying.

This is not "human-level" intelligence, but instead using a robot to do a
task so tedious that humans would struggle to do it - one of the
advantages of robots.

Also, this sort of thing is already being done.