[ExI] i got friends in low places

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Aug 29 13:14:35 UTC 2022

Latest numbers just updated a few minutes ago.  The one tropical depression now has about a 50% chance of becoming a named storm in the next 2 days, 80% chance in the next five.

We are three days from 2022 moving into second place for the quietest Altantic year, 5 days from moving into first.

If we use accumulated cyclonic energy by 29 August as the metric, 2022 is already the quietest year since 1966, but that number doesn’t mean much because September is the big storm month in the Atlantic.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc <https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2> &fdays=2

None of this matters much unless one is interested in scientific anomalies.  This year is going against its orders.  2022 isn’t following the SCIENCE!  It is supposed to be a well above average storm year (it could still turn into that) based on sea surface temperature data, but it might continue being a quiet year.  If so, it rewrites some of the theory on hurricanes, and perhaps sheds light on droughts and heat waves in Europe.  Science geeks love rewriting theory.

Go ‘Canes!