[ExI] Fusion breakthrough

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Dec 14 16:36:35 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Dave S via extropy-chat

>...This result means that controlled fusion has moved from theoretically
possible to achieved. Turning it from doable to practical is the next step.

-Dave

Ja, it is a step.  I looked at a lot of the popular press coverage on it,
but few make it clear that the gain of 1 means they recovered enough energy
to equal the energy of the ignition laser.  Nearly all the articles will
make a comment such as "...practical nuclear fusion power plants are decades
away..." but not really explain the energy expended in extracting the
tritium and so forth.

But ja, it is a step, and I look toward a new wave of nuclear engineering
students being spawned, which is a good thing even if they never set foot in
a nuclear power plant.  Nuclear engineers are good engineers: it is an
exacting science.