[ExI] How the James Webb telescope is reshaping cosmology

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Dec 16 14:02:19 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] How the James Webb telescope is reshaping cosmology

How the James Webb telescope’s glances back in time are reshaping cosmology Galaxies might have formed earlier and faster than previously thought.

By Lisa Grossman    16 Dec 2022

<https://www.sciencenews.org/article/james-webb-space-telescope-time-galaxy>

And the JWST is just getting started!

BillK

Thx BillK.  The astronomy world has been buzzing about this.  I can't get my head around it.  I don't understand how galaxies could have formed that quickly, or why they woulda, for that would suggest a nonuniformity in density which isn't explained well by the current standard big bang/inflation model.  I haven't been able to understand why there would be any non-uniformity at all.

But then we received that astonishing result from COBE in the 1990s which proved to us the anisotropy is real.  Later instruments verified it in greater resolution.  It's been 30 years and I still don't understand why that anisotropy is there or how it formed.