[ExI] what would any of us have done differently?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Dec 16 20:49:32 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] what would any of us have done differently?

How can the legacy media companies pay all those people, many of them
expensive, when the internet offers news free?   spike

>…People are suspicious of free things…

Excellent!  They should be.  That is even better with free news.  Make them inherently skeptical.  When people buy news, they put too much trust in it.  That didn’t work out too well for a lot of legacy news sources.

>…Also - people will not respect things that are free…

Good.  They shouldn’t.

>… The more you pay the better it must be.  bill w

For news, we want lots of variety, conflicting stories.  Then we get to decide which was right.

Regarding the news business, my favorite speech of all time was this one, Danny Devito, playing the greedy ruthless asshole in Other People’s Money:

https://youtu.be/62kxPyNZF3Q

It’s over 30 years old, but that message rings so true today.  It is applicable to the news business.

My speculation is that legacy news agencies must be suffering for the same reasons that Twitter1.0 crashed (or was crashing depending on how you look at it.)  News can be crowd-sourced and crowds working free can do a better job than a few overworked professionals.