[ExI] Hibernation for travel to Mars

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:18:48 UTC 2022

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 9:54 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> That's the exponential progress problem. Do we do nothing now because
> in five years time it will be so much easier and better? It's the old theme
> about early starships being overtaken on their lengthy journey by
> faster next generation starships.
> It may be best to try with existing tech because tomorrow's tech might
> never arrive. And we might learn something important while making our
> first feeble attempts.  :)

While that is true, said attempts should also keep in mind potential future
advances.

Sending robot probes to sample and set up for in-situ resource utilization
is a useful thing to do.

Setting up a whole new infrastructure for hibernation seems likely to be
obsolete before it could be deployed.