[ExI] AI replacing more human workers

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 14:51:14 UTC 2022

AI is quietly eating up the world’s workforce with job automation
Valerias Bangert     January 8, 2022

<https://venturebeat.com/2022/01/08/ai-is-quietly-eating-up-the-worlds-workforce-with-job-automation/>

Quotes:

AI job automation:
The debate around whether AI will automate jobs away is heating up. AI
critics claim that these statistical models lack the creativity and
intuition of human workers and that they are thus doomed to specific,
repetitive tasks. However, this pessimism fundamentally underestimates
the power of AI. While AI job automation has already replaced around
400,000 factory jobs in the U.S. from 1990 to 2007, with another 2
million on the way, AI today is automating the economy in a much more
subtle way.
---------
The examples given so far are just the tip of the iceberg. AI is
automating jobs away in virtually every sector and industry. While
this might seem like cause for alarm, it’s actually long overdue news.
The fact is, we’ve been living in a world where machines have been
slowly replacing human workers for centuries.

What’s new is the pace of this automation. Machines are now becoming
faster, better, and cheaper than humans at an alarming rate. As a
result, we’re seeing a fundamental shift in the economy where machines
are starting to do the creative jobs of human beings.