[ExI] Interstellar Travel is really hard

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Jan 11 14:13:25 UTC 2022

On 11/01/2022 00:04, BillK wrote:
> If we can achieve the nanotech capability that you describe........
> well, that gives us God-like power to do almost anything!
> So, I doubt whether that will be possible.

Hmm, I'm not sure that I agree with that conclusion (no, actually, I am
sure that I don't agree with it). I don't think the consequences of an
ability affects the chances of it being possible.

One reason for interstellar colonisation that hasn't been mentioned is
maximising your chances of surviving an existential threat (nearby
supernovae, dense molecular clouds, your own star misbehaving badly,
etc.). If you spread your civilisation (or it's descendant
civilisations) all over the galaxy, there's less chance of becoming
extinct. If your star turns into a red giant and swallows your planet,
then it makes no difference if you take the form of biological critters
swarming on the surface, or tinkerbells living as software in a
supercomputer buried in the ocean sediment, you're still toast.

Ben