[ExI] music survey

Nuala Thomson nuala.t at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 04:26:52 UTC 2022

Well if it's lack of repetition you're after, let me introduce to djent, or
math metal:
Artist: Meshuggah
Yes they have repetitive riffs but try and count the beats ;) I'm sure if
you can get past the brutality you'll enjoy it.
https://youtu.be/a1zFJKPOnXg

Artist: Tesseract
Fair bit of jazz influence and vocals may or may not be more to your liking.
https://youtu.be/get0cXOsSXg

Artist: Animals as Leaders
Purely instrumental. This is the song that got them as famous as they will
probably ever get. There are some repetitive sections but they lead
somewhere.
https://youtu.be/q0ZrF7taMHA

Artist: The Ocean
I'm going to send 2 because my favourite song is highly repetitive and that
wasn't my point here. I think it just needs sharing.
https://youtu.be/EaeFVhENrb8
Title of the album: Precambrian
The titles of the songs go by layers of the ocean.
This is the album: https://youtu.be/5TISfxNI_yM
In my opinion it's a master piece. The first few songs are aggressive,
tumultuous, violent, as is the surface of the ocean. The deeper you go the
calmer it gets.

If you wish I also recommend Russian Circles. They're also instrumental,
less math more beauty. Highly repetitive but it always builds to something.
And Metallica's Call of Cthulu is beautiful. But I'm biased towards
ANYTHING Lovecraftian.
As for sub genres, I get a huge laugh that Christian Deathcore exists.

On Mon., Jan. 17, 2022, 12:53 Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat, <