[ExI] (no subject)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Jan 20 14:02:33 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] (no subject)

>…Gravity waves *is* the term for that atmospheric phenomenon, though.  It's not a new term.  I'd reckon it is probably older in terms of consistent usage than the cosmology/physics term, tbh.

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave

Oh OK cool thanks Will.  An idea occurred to me before I read the wiki article on it: you would need two different terms to describe waves in the atmosphere.  There would be sound waves, which involve compression.  If your friend is talking to you from across the room, the molecules move horizontally first toward you then toward her, but don’t move much.  That would be a compression wave, but the atmosphere could also have (under some weird circumstances (like this one)) something like ocean waves, or rather more like the ripples spreading on the surface of a pond when you toss in a stone.  Makes sense they would call that an atmospheric gravity wave.

OK Nature, I retract my original comment.  That is one of the unfortunate times where a term is just overworked.  I have been watching gravity waves from merging black holes.  It never occurred to me something could cause waves of air, but come to think about it, a nuclear bomb would do that too.  OK now I will go read the Wiki article.

spike