[ExI] enough time has passed...

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 02:44:17 UTC 2022

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 at 13:33, Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 9:01 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>

>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 at 12:07, Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <

>>> It would save a whole lot more lives to ban cigarettes and addictive
>>> foods full of sugar and massive amounts of sodium, fat, and carbs.  Or
>>> alcohol.  Or stopping pharmaceutical companies from selling opioids that
>>> caused the epidemic which is the #1 killer of young people in the USA. Or,
>>> idk, make everyone wear a helmet when they are driving.  You act like you
>>> don't have your own personal line on autonomy vs. safety.  We all do.  It's
>>> a value judgment, and you're acting like it's objective.  Why not do those
>>> other things?  People pretend they give a shit about others, but they
>>> actually don't, otherwise they would have said something about any one of
>>> those issues earlier.  Really, they are just full of fear for themselves,
>>> and they're pissed off that life was put on hold, and they need someone to
>>> blame it on.  It NEVER had to do with helping others.  It had to do with
>>> helping themselves, and blind obeisance to nebulous authority figures
>>> (again, fear: because when you grow up, you gain the fear that nobody knows
>>> what the fuck is going on, and you desperately want some authority to just
>>> tell you everything is going to be ok like your mothers used to.
>>>

>> The difference is that with most of those other things you mention people
>> are only directly harming themselves. Turning yourself into a virus factory
>> is different.
>>

> Well I don't think it really makes a difference with respect to omicron,
> but that wasn't even the point I was making.  The point is that the entire
> fuss of these people caring about others is false.  They never held
> accountable the giant industries that caused much more death and
> suffering.  I continue to posit that none of this is based on empathy, but
> just based on personal fear and desire to return to normalcy.

That's the whataboutism fallacy. And my original point, which I will
repeat, was that EVEN IF it could be shown that mask and vaccine mandates
could save lives, there are those who would not comply. That is, even if
they agree in some future epidemic that wearing a mask might reduce the
spread and save lives, they think their God-given (or wherever they believe
it comes from) right to do as they please should not be overruled.

--
Stathis Papaioannou