[ExI] enough time has passed...

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jan 24 14:57:24 UTC 2022

….> On Behalf Of Jason Resch via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] enough time has passed...

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022, 7:53 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

… You seem to think it isn’t a problem, or indeed that it is a desirable feature. So all you can do is hope for the best.

Freedom isn’t free.  It comes with a price, up to and sometimes including, our lives.  It is a bargain.

The good news is that one can move from a place which has freedom to a place which does not easily.  Coming back the other way, not so much.  But ja, we can always hope for the best, and I do.

>…Conversely, if this widely implemented measure X gave everyone cancer in five years it would be good if it were not adopted by 100% of the population. I think some degree of robustness is afforded by populations not all doing X at any one time.

>…It can be a deficit in some circumstances and a strength in others, but we can't always know upfront which it is.

>…Consider that when you turn on the lights, half the cockroaches scatter and hide and the other half remain in the open to continue eating. The ones that scatter risk starvation while those that remain out risk getting squashed. Either strategy can be good or bad for the individual, but the species as a whole benefits by distributing different response strategies across members of the population. It's a hallmark of evolution and necessary for a species' survival….Jason

Dang Jason, you have some bold roaches.  My roaches will scamper in unanimity, even if not all in the same direction.

But you are right on with this post, which is why I didn’t trim any of it.  Governments don’t know everything the The Science doesn’t know everything.  He’s changed his mind a number of times, issued contradictory statements, been caught lying to congress about funding gain-of-function research in China, you name it.

The Science isn’t all-knowing and the government certainly is not.  There are good reasons to not compel everyone do the same thing.  We can ignore the fact that it isn’t legal in the USA and go on to it isn’t even a good idea.  We still don’t know if these vaccines may trigger auto-immune conditions years down the road and may not know that for some time to come.  We don’t know if it will make people more susceptible to other flu strains and may not know that even this flu season because we still doing countermeasures such as social distancing for many people, but… we are seeing early indications that these vaccines might be making people more susceptible to omicron.  Apparently omicron doesn’t kill, but that is an example of a consequence The Science didn’t anticipate.  Some of us should be the bold cockroaches.