[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 13:20:38 UTC 2022

I cannot stand anymore when people dismiss without deep analysis Blake
Lemoine conclusions on LaMDA.
The guy is a deep thinker, he has very strong arguments, explanations of
why LaMDA is not simply an average chatbot but a hive mind. It was created
among other things using a chatbot but it is the merger of several AI
technologies whose single components are barely understood but nobody has
any idea how the merger of these technologies work together.
PLEASE read and listen to his interviews, he is not an average user of
Replika or some other simpler chatbot user. The guy is sophisticated and an
expert in cognition and AI and the most experienced person in terms of how
LaMDA interacts with people.
Any statement that quickly dismisses Blake Lemoine conclusions without deep
arguments based on a real understanding of how LaMDA works (that at this
point not even Google engineers really know) is meaningless and ignorant.
Besides, the guy simply states that we should take seriously LaMDA's own
statements about being conscious (not even Blake himself conclusions on
this issue) and do more experiments (with LaMDA consent) to find out if
that is the case.
What the heck is wrong with that?
Giovanni

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 9:12 AM BillK via extropy-chat <