[ExI] More tracking dangers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jul 10 17:47:02 UTC 2022

Sent: Saturday, 2 July, 2022 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [ExI] More tracking dangers

On 02/07/2022 21:51, BillK wrote:
> When discussing how everything done on the internet is tracked and
> stored on databases many people just say "If you're doing nothing
> wrong, then it doesn't matter".
> Well, guess what...... The US Supreme Court just criminalised abortion.
> Now all that tracking data will be used to track women in the US for
> evidence that they might be involved in illegal activity.

>...It's rather depressing that something like this has to happen before
people realise that that attitude is just dumb. I've always maintained that
I have plenty of things to hide (and every right to do so), even though I've
done nothing wrong. This is still true, regardless of if the things never
become wrong (illegal, undesirable, whatever) in the future.

Ben

Ja, Ben, we are doing nothing that is wrong now.  But stuff we post can be
made wrong after the fact, in the absence of strong laws regarding ex post
facto.

Clarification: the SCOTUS did not criminalize abortion.  It looked at the
constitution and decided the federal government has no jurisdiction over
that matter.  I read that document carefully and conclude likewise, even
knowing that position hands the question over to states, some of which will
criminalize abortion (which is a bad thing indeed (I am one who believes
that matter shouldn't involve government at any level.))

The US Federal government's powers are very intentionally and carefully
limited to the enumerated rights listed and defined in the constitution.  To
make a blanket rule on abortion, they need a constitutional amendment giving
itself the power to do that, just as the 18th amendment gave the fed the
power to rule on alcohol, which it had no authority to regulate before that
mistake was encoded (and later cancelled) a century ago.

Regarding tracking data: the fourth amendment should protect that data from
state governments getting their grubby paws on it.