[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Jul 14 09:26:29 UTC 2022

One thing that occurs to me is that there's one thing that kids as they
grow up, do, that shows that they are intelligent, conscious,
self-aware, etc.: They spontaneously (and endlessly!) ask questions.
They want to know "but why??" about every sodding thing. I remember
being like this myself, and driving my father up the wall. I reckon that
when a machine starts exhibiting the same behaviour, we can be pretty
sure it is conscious, or at least well on the way.

Ben