[ExI] cool wind map graphic

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:34:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 2:21 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 14/07/2022 09:23, Will Steinberg wrote:
> > This is just a crazy nighttime idea but what about quasi-orbital
> > gliding wind turbines...
>
> If you're building things that high up, they might as well collect solar
> energy instead or as well. I expect the machinery for solar collection
> would be much lighter than the machinery for wind power.

The problem in practice has been the high cost of getting (and, if not
orbital, keeping) them that high.

One might consider high-altitude airships, whose function is to collect and
beam down power, but after including the cost of the airship needed to hold
up a decent wind turbine or set of solar panels, the cost per kilowatt hour
is likely still too high.