[ExI] People often think their chatbot is alive

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 19:25:00 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 12:03 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Ja Dave from watching them, I concluded likewise: there is no central
> planning and the queen is just another bee except for having operational
> reproductive organs.  She isn’t smarter than the others and doesn’t give
> commands or requests.  Even calling her the queen bee invites misleading
> anthropomorphism, as I see in the Amazon blurb.

In modern parlance she might be called the spawn, or the spawner: new bees
come from her.  Taking her out is critical to taking out a hive - and,
likewise, keeping her alive and working is critical to the continued
existence of a hive - but she's not in charge.