[ExI] How JWST first image beats Hubble eXtreme Deep Field

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 20:26:10 UTC 2022

With its very first deep-field view of the Universe now released, the
James Webb Space Telescope has shown us our cosmos as never before.

<https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/james-webbs-record-breaking-first-science-image-explained-51411b30dbc9>

Prior to JWST’s first science release, the deepest view of our cosmos
came from the Hubble eXtreme Deep Field: a region of space so small it
takes up just 1/32,000,000th of the sky. Within it, 5500 galaxies were
found, spanning almost the entire history of the Universe: from just
400 million years after the Big Bang until today, or from when the
Universe was merely 3% of its current age all the way to its present
state.

That image, below, represented the deepest view of the Universe for a
full decade. But by simply using its suite of instruments to observe a
run-of-the-mill galaxy cluster, SMACS 0723, the JWST has shown us the
Universe as we’ve never seen it before. Here’s the science behind the
image, along with precisely what gives us such an unprecedented view.