[ExI] Google AI engineer Lemoine has been fired

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 10:47:46 UTC 2022

Blake Lemoine, an engineer who's spent the last seven years with
Google, has been fired, reports Alex Kantrowitz of the Big Technology
newsletter. The news was allegedly broken by Lemoine himself during a
taping of the podcast of the same name, though the episode is not yet
public. Google confirmed the firing to Engadget.

<https://www.engadget.com/blake-lemoide-fired-google-lamda-sentient-001746197.html>

Quote from Google::
As we share in our AI Principles, we take the development of AI very
seriously and remain committed to responsible innovation. LaMDA has
been through 11 distinct reviews, and we published a research paper
earlier this year detailing the work that goes into its responsible
development. If an employee shares concerns about our work, as Blake
did, we review them extensively. We found Blake’s claims that LaMDA is
sentient to be wholly unfounded and worked to clarify that with him
for many months. These discussions were part of the open culture that
helps us innovate responsibly.