[ExI] World IQs may be falling

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jul 30 06:37:19 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] World IQs may be falling

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 at 22:50, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
>>... A lot of people know quite a bit but don't understand what they know.

> bill w _______________________________________________

>...That's right. IQ tests don't test knowledge. They test reasoning and
problem-solving.

Wikipedia also mentions the problem of falling IQ scores in western
countries.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect>

BillK

Ja to both.  Our methods of training for reasoning ability must be
overhauled in a world where we have a relentless drive toward ever greater
specialization.  The vast improvement in electronic communication just in
our lifetimes has caused this shift toward specialization.  So now... we
need to find ways to measure problem-solving and reasoning in a world where
we don't need to be good at everything, or even very many things.  We just
need to be excellent at something.