[ExI] US regulators will certify first small nuclear reactor design

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jul 30 06:41:57 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] US regulators will certify first small nuclear reactor design

>...NuScale will get the final approval nearly six years after starting the
process.
John Timmer - Jul 29, 2022

<https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/07/us-regulators-will-certify-first-sm
all-nuclear-reactor-design/>

Quote:
>...On Friday, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) announced that it
would be issuing a certification to a new nuclear reactor design....

BillK

BillK, we are currently at a roadblock with regard to electric vehicles.  We
can see many advantages to them, but it is already clear we need waaaaay the
heck greater power generation capability than we currently have to charge
all those new Teslas.  For some time, I imagined we would be hauling mobile
Diesel generators into the area, which completely defeats the advantage of
EVs.  But if we start building nukes as fast as we can slam them into the
ground, we can get around this roadblock and move forward.