[ExI] Google engineer claims AI is sentient

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 18:44:15 UTC 2022

Human beings are hard-wired to attribute agency to anything with
sufficiently complex and environmentally-contextual behavior.

This is an evolved architecture - brains that don't have a hard category
distinction between predators and the environment don't survive long enough
to reproduce, and we should expect to be quite sensitive, even
overly-sensitive to the distinction: being a little bit anxious, even all
the time, is better than being a little bit dead *.

This is why pagan gods are a thing and why sailors traditionally
anthropomorphize ships - nature is more than complex enough to trigger this
instinct, and ships with rigging were arguably the first human technology
with complex enough behavior to trigger this instinct.

* Just thinking about this now, this is probably why a significant
percentage of western civilization is anxious all the time - our built
environment is literally saturated with technological systems sophisticated
enough to trigger anthropomorphization.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:19 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <