[ExI] Fwd: New article: EM Field Theory of Consciousness

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 22:17:26 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022, 4:57 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

> [...]
>> traffic-or DNA. It's a brain model in which conscious, mental, psychic
>> forces are recognized to be the crowning achievement of some five hundred
>> million years or more of evolution.”
>>
>> “To put it very simply, it becomes a question largely of who pushes whom
>> around in the population of causal forces that occupy the cranium. There
>> exists within the human cranium a whole world of diverse causal forces;
>> what is more, there are forces within forces within forces, as in no other
>> cubic half-foot of universe that we know. At the lowermost levels in this
>> system are those local aggregates of subnuclear particles confined within
>> the neutrons and protons of their respective atomic nuclei. These
>> individuals, of course, don't have very much to say about what goes on in
>> the affairs of the brain. Like the atomic nucleus and its associated
>> electrons, thes ubnuclear and other atomic elements are "moleculebound"
>> for the most part, and get hauled and pushed around by the larger spatial
>> and configurational forces of the whole molecule.
>>
>> Similarly the molecular elements in the brain are themselves pretty well
>> bound up, moved, and ordered about by the enveloping properties of the
>> cells within which they are located. Along with their internal atomic and
>> subnuclear parts, the brain molecules are obliged tos ubmit to a course
>> of activity in time and space that is determined very largely by the
>> overall dynamic and spatial properties of the whole brain cell as an
>> entity. Even the brain cells, however, with their long fibers and impulse
>> conducting elements, do not have very much to say either about when or
>> in what time pattern, for example, they are going to fire their messages.
>> The firing orders come from a higher command.”
>>
>> “In short, if one climbs upward through the chain of command within the
>> brain, one finds at the very top those overall organizational forces and
>> dynamic properties of the large patterns of cerebral excitation that
>> constitute the mental or psychic phenomena.”
>>
>> “Near the apex of this compound command system in the brain we find
>> ideas. In the brain model proposed here, the causal potency of an idea, or
>> an ideal, becomes just as real as that of a molecule, a cell, or a nerve
>> impulse. Ideas cause ideas and help evolve new ideas. They interact with
>> each other and with other mental forces in the same brain, in neighboring
>> brains, and in distant, foreign brains. And they also interact with real
>> consequence upon the external surroundings to produce in toto an explosive
>> advance in evolution on this globe far beyond anything known before,
>> including the emergence of the living cell.”
>>

> It is certainly useful to think of higher level phenomena affecting
> behaviour, but that does not mean they are not epiphenomenal. It is useful
> to consider a computer’s behaviour in terms of the program, but the program
> cannot do anything that is not fully explained by low level phenomena in

I agree that the computer analogy is useful in this case. I think the
computer analogy shows the physical rules can be abstracted away entirely
to the point computer programmers need not consider or know anything about
the underlying physics of the computer's parts. In a sense programmers are
playing with their own higher level casual rules, which are entirely
shielded from the lower level implementation.  This is why the causal order
of a Java program can be understood entirely without reference to whatever
physical computer it may be run on.

Might the same be true of our high level thought patterns? Max Tegmark
seems to think so:

“How can something as complicated as consciousness possibly be explained by
something as simple as particles? I think it’s because consciousness is a
phenomenon that has properties above and beyond the properties of its
particles. We physicists call phenomena that have properties above and
beyond those over their parts: emergent phenomena.”

“How can something as physical as a bunch of moving particles possibly feel
as non-physical as our consciousness? Well, I think it’s because our
consciousness is a phenomenon that doesn’t only have properties above and
beyond those of its parts, but also has properties that are rather
independent of its parts, independent of its substrate, independent of the
stuff that it’s made of.

Computation is also rather substrate-independent, because Alan Turing
famously proved that any computation can be performed by any substance as
long as it has a certain minimum set of abilities to compute. So this means
that if you were a self-aware computer game character trapped in your
game-world in some game in a future super-intelligent computer, you will
have no way of knowing whether you are running on Windows, on macOS or on
some other platform, because you would be substrate-independent.

Now I think consciousness is the same way. I think consciousness is a
physical phenomenon that feels non-physical, because it’s just like waves
and computations. More specifically, I think that consciousness is the way
information feels when it’s been processed in certain complex ways. So this
means that it’s substrate-independent, and this also means that it's only
the structure of the information processing that matters, not the structure
of the matter that’s doing the information processing.”

As does Douglas Hofsteader with his notion of "Strange Loops" when higher
levels of a hierarchy reach down to change something in a lower level:

“Now we can relate this to the brain, a well as to AI programs. In our
thoughts, symbols activate other symbols, and all interact heterarchically.
Furthermore, the symbols may cause each other to change internally, in the
fashion of programs acting on other programs. [...]
If it were possible to schematize this whole image, there would be a
gigantic forest of symbols linked to each other by tangly lines like vines
in a tropical jungle–this would be the top level, the Tangled Hierarchy
where thoughts really flow back and forth. This is the elusive level of mind:
the analogue to LH and RH. Far below in the schematic picture, analogous to
the invisible “prime mover” Escher, there would be a representation of the
myriad of neurons–the “inviolate substrate” which lets the tangle above it
come into being. Interestingly this other level is itself a tangle in a
literal sense–billions of vells and hundreds of billions of axons, joining
them all together.”

(See associated picture here:
https://archive.org/details/gdelescherbach00hofs/page/690/mode/2up?q=%22Figure+136%22
)

The lower level (below the waves) might represent the neuronal or atomic
levels, it is the substrate supporting the higher level structures (e.g.
the drawing hands) but those could be ideas, states of a computer program,
qualia, etc. which have their own causal relations and powers (at their
level of description). It all comes down to this: Can an idea or a thought
cause you to move a muscle?

Jason