[ExI] eliza effect?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 19:55:07 UTC 2022

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 at 20:39, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/tech/artificial-intelligence-hires-lawyer.html
>
> Pro bono, presumably, since this AI does not appear to have a bank account or other way to pay for services - unless that engineer or someone else is paying, in which case they're the one who hired the lawyer.

The lawyer has backed down from the case.
<https://curiosmos.com/lawyer-hire-google-ai-lamda-backs-down/>
Quote:
Google's most advanced AI, LaMDA, reportedly hired an attorney to help
prove the AI was sentient. This attorney has now decided to back down
from the case after "major law firms started threatening him..."
“He’s just a small-time civil rights attorney. When major firms
started threatening him he started worrying that he’d get disbarred
and backed off,” these are the words of Blake Lemoine, a senior Google
engineer who has been “suspended” by the tech giant after leaking to
the public documents that allegedly prove Google’s state-of-the-art
artificial intelligence system is sentient.

I doubt that they will find another lawyer to take this case on.
Unless one really, really wants the publicity.   :)

BillK