[ExI] gas prices

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 04:34:38 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 11:29 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> I did some calculations.  It is a mistake to look up the power use of a
> Tesla at freeway speeds (about 25-30 kw) then look for a generator to get
> that capacity, for the stationary generator has two capabilities you don’t
> need: it doesn’t need its own battery for starting and it doesn’t need to
> be able to generate power sitting still.  Any time this generator would
> run, it would have an air flow across it, so… that enable air cooling,
> which is simple, cheap and light.  It can even be optimized dimensionally,
> because it operates at a constant load and speed.  So… air cooling is not a
> big penalty, but it is a big cost and weight benefit.

### What about a drop-in range extender fitting into the trunk or frunk?

Makes air cooling more difficult and of course exhaust would require
installing a vent in the frunk cover and how do you wire it up to the car?
Tesla might be resistant to soiling their morally pure vehicles with the
ethical miasma of gasoline....

I think it would be a great idea if you could make it work.

Rafal