[ExI] gas prices

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 05:07:48 UTC 2022

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 1:23 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> ### What about a drop-in range extender fitting into the trunk or
> frunk? Rafal
>

> Hi Rafal, thanks for posting.  I thought of that and worked on it for a
> while but eventually calculated that there is not a practical way to dump
> the excess heat. Which is about 60 kW.
>

> I am finding plenty of solutions where the whole rig comes in under 600
> pounds without fuel, about a thousand pounds with fuel.  That is easily
> handled by one person.

### You do have a point. A drop-in generator would have to be comparably
wimpy and would still be hard to handle.... but the range-extended Tesla
does not need to drive fast. All it needs is the peace of mind as you
trundle to the nearest megacharger at a steady 50 mph. How many kW is that
for a Model 3 running on flat road in windless conditions with no AC? Quora
says about 4.5 kW. 60kW and 1000 lb worth of generator sounds like an
enormous overkill. My 13 kW house generator weighs 400 lb as a stationary
device that's intended to be too heavy to vibrate, so a much smaller car
generator should weigh a fraction. And it's OK to refill out of a Jerry-Can
every 50 miles or so. Sure, going uphill in winter at night upwind might be
a bit of a problem.... but think about how much of the planet you would
avoid killing!

Plus, the drop in generator would be hidden with only an innocuous-looking
gas vent to betray your wickedness. How would you live down the shame if
the modern Mrs Grundy saw you pulling a planet-killer behind your car?

Rafal