[ExI] emotional deficits in sci-fi

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:54:03 UTC 2022

I have been reading sci-fi for nearly 70 years (first book Farmer in the
Sky).  I have finally noticed something:

The characters in the books are on the other end of the scale from
hypersensitivity.  They are dullards.

When contact is made with aliens or alien technology or artifacts, there is
some surprise, but very soon it's all matter of fact - highly interested,
still, but not afraid.

Fear is our strongest emotion and it is tailor made for reacting to aliens
- which means strong fear and strong suspicions and so on.

When did you ever read of a character fainting?  Having a panic attack?
Running away?  Or any other sign of great fear?

Apparently nearly all of the characters are heroes of some sort who just
don't show fear.  They do say it sometimes.  But don't act that way.
People in intense fear make mistakes, are clumsy, make poor decisions.

In other words:  the main problem with scifi is that it is unrealistic!

Thought for the day:  twin sisters 100 years old, on how they have lived so
long.  One - "Well, we just have never died."     Cymbal crash

bill w